Friday, August 22, 2008

Closer & Closer

Many things were learned today at the appointment with the OB.

- I am measuring 41 weeks. (currently 33w4d)
- I am dilated 1cm!!! (though I have yet to feel any contractions)
- I will check into the hospital at 7:45am on 9.23.08 for the c-section.
- At this point, since the girls are of good size and health for their gestation, labor will not be stopped if it starts before our scheduled c-section.
- I will start going weekly to the OB for NSTs (non-stress tests) now.

Today I had the first NST where contractions, baby movement, heart rate and “reactivity” of heart rate to baby movement is measured, and it went fairly quickly despite having twins. It took the nurse about 10 minutes to set me up on 3 monitors (1 for contractions, and 1 for each baby). But once that was complete, we were only there for another 15 minutes before the doctor saw all the activity needed. Bob had to help with the process, since I had to hold one monitor down on Ruby to keep her heart rate audible. He got to press the hand-held button every time I felt them move. It was like being on a game show and hitting the buzzer. I actually had a small contraction while hooked up, but I did not feel it. We just noticed that monitor's number going up and the girls' heart rates also rose quickly. The nurse reaffirmed our reasoning of a contraction when we asked if that is what had happened.
After hearing that they will not stop it if I go into labor between now and our scheduled birth date, I am a bit more anxious to prepare things at home this weekend. We were going to do everything left over Labor Day weekend since Bob has additional time off work, but now we will prioritize the remaining tasks and complete the most important this weekend.

1 comments:

Marcelo Vignali

Bless you guys and the girls!

I remember staring at the empty crib. I'd tell my wife, "Pretty soon, we'll have a baby sleeping there." Sure enough, that day came and it was a pinch-me-I-must-be-dreaming moment.

In a month, you can't imagine your lives without the babies. Strange, you will get the feeling like you've known your babies all your life.

You should make a posting announcing you're going to the hospital. Keep it in the "draft" mode, so when the time comes all you have to do is click it.